Septic System Maintenance Facts
Proper System Maintenance
- Pump your tank every one (1) to two (2) years.
- Use liquid detergents.
- Learn the location of septic tank and components.
- Use environmentally safe products.
- Use water sparingly and conserve. Avoid long showers and spread out laundry.
- Divert roof drains and surface water away from septic systems.
- Repair running toilets.
- Dispose cigarette filters, feminine products, baby wipes, paper towels, cat litter, cooking grease or fats, and paint down drains or toilets.
- Use drain cleaners – drain cleaners kill “good” needed in your system to break down solids naturally.
- Use powdered detergents, they don’t break down and can re solidify.
- Do more than a couple loads of laundry a day.
- Use a garbage disposal
- Allow anyone to drive or park over any part of the system.